Monday, September 12, 2005

Internet Movie downloading...

Here is a first topic which I hope to generate some discussion... What do the readers think of downloading movies off the Internet to watch them? There is, of course, the difference between physical property and intellectual property. If I steal, err, borrow, or take, something physical from "Joe", Joe does not have it anymore. The posession is transferred to me. With intellectual property, music, movies, etc., Joe would still have his own. Is this argument just trying to justify the issue, or does it have some merit. It is interesting to note that such a thing is illegal in the USA, but not in Canada.

What do you think???

1 comment:

Brian said...

There are several flaws in your arguement. I would like to first off say that I agree with you in that it is wrong, just not for the reasons your mention:

1. What is banned in a different country than mine means little to me. In India, it is banned to shoot cows.

2. Movies are covered by copyright laws in the U.S.. US law. Not Canadian.

3. In no sense are movies "physical" property. Thats why they gave it the name "intellectual" property.

4. I wouldn't have stolen any revenue from the company if I never planned to rent it. This is weak, I know, but very true. Joe downloads a movie he has heard little of. He would have never rented it, but because he could watch it for free, he found out he liked it. The next weekend he rents it to watch at his buddies house. He also tells his co-workers its a great movie, so they rent it also. Joe just made money for the movie studios. Ends don't justify the means, but you can't condemn the means by the ends, either.


I am just playing the devils advocate here.