Wednesday, September 14, 2005

So what do I do, and what have I done?

I am a computer technician by trade, and work at an office supply store, VanPelts Office Plus, in their computer department. I fix computers, sell computers, build computers, and everything related to them. I also handle all of our on-site service calls. If you've ever heard of Nerds-on-Site, I think that what I do is close to their line of work. I used to work at a Business & Career college, teaching both aspects of the business computer world: I taught the technical programs, from troubleshooting computer problems, to networking, to web design. On the other side, the application side, I taught Microsoft Office, Windows, Accounting packages (Simply Accounting, Quickbooks), and a few others. I should clarify for the sake of honesty that it wasn't really teaching in the traditional sense of the word. My official title was "Technical and Business Facilitator". Since the school used an Independant Learning System, I was kind of a back-up guy, who would explain concepts and ideas if the students didn't understand them. Before that I worked at our local newspaper office, maintaining the website. That sounds good, but all it really was was putting the days stories onto the website, well, daily.

You could say this all makes me look rather one-sided, but I do have other career interests as well, just no experience or education in them. I rather enjoy the idea of teaching english as a second language. That would be interesting indeed, to immerse into a different culture, eat wierd food, and get paid for it! I've looked into it previously from time to time, but I need to get the TESL certificate first, which costs quite a bit of money, which, shockingly, I don't have.

Well, I will sign off at this point.

Brian

No comments: